Cauliflower Pakoras (Low Carb, Vegan, Gluten free)
These are some of the TASTIEST treats I've ever made. Before you continue reading you should know that these are deep fried and not super healthy!!! They are however, very good on the blood sugar levels and will not give you a crazy spike like most store bought pakoras.
These are great if you're having company over or if you just want to treat yourself with something delicious and cheap!
The main ingredient for the batter is chickpea flour and I was able to pick up a big bag from bulk barn (local bulk store) for under $2.00 CND. So if you don't have any lying around the house, I suggest skipping the health food stores and making a trip to a bulk store!
One of the best things about this recipe is how easy it is! Doesn't require a million ingredients and will only take about 15-20 minutes total including prep to make.
Also if you don't have all the spices, don't sweat it, I suggest going to your bulk store for those as well. And if you're only missing one spice, then also don't bother making a special trip, these will turn out great either way.
Total Time : 20 minutes
Yields : 10 - 12 pakora fritters
1 cup chickpea flour
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 head cauliflower
1 small - medium size white onion
1 minced garlic clove
oil for frying
1. Mix flour and all spices in a big bowl. Slowly add water and mix until it comes to a batter like consistency.
2. Chop cauliflower and onion into small pieces.
3. Heat up oil in a pot on medium - high and get it sizzling.
4. Carefully coat a handful size of diced cauliflower and onion in batter.
5. When satisfied with the amount, drop the coated cauliflower into the sizzling oil.
6. Fry for 5 minutes. Remove with a spoon and set on a drying rack to cool.
7. DIG IN!